Monday, April 21, 2014

Hiker Culture

Hiker Culture:

Before I started this journey I wondered a lot about the people I would be meet. I've met the professional transients and the hobos, but what has surprised me the most is the fellow thru hikers. The half year journey that we are all on is a bonding agent that I've never seen outside of my church family. All of us are experiencing the same pains aches and struggles. Personally I'm a very protective person, and since I'm carrying my life on my back at first I was very apprehensive of leaving it anywhere. The other day on top of Clingmons dome Dawn and I sat down for lunch below the summit. Within 10 mins we had 10 or more packs sitting around us that other hikers had left for us to watch. I watched one guy, who I thought was sketchy at best, carry a set of trekking 20-miles just to return them to there owner. 

All that to say this. I've never met a better group of friends so quickly in my life. It almost restores your faith that there are still abundant amounts of good people left in this world. Back home on a day-to-day basis random acts of kindness were just not as common. But the most surprising thing of all has been what is called "trail magic." We like to call it "trail blessing." It is where random people set up at a road crossing and hand out free food and supplies. I've gotten every thing from pop-tarts, power aid, and a full BBQ lunch. Isn't that awesome!! In a World where calories mean life, free food never goes unnoticed. It makes me want to come back next year and be a trail angel for a week. 

Life on the trail is definitely what you make it. But I can promise there is no lack of comradely and smiles waiting for you on the Appalachian Trail!

Tator bought us dinner! It was awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment